Get Britain Standing is a campaign to grow awareness and education of the dangers of sedentary working. Here are a few facts found on the organization’s website:
- On average, British people sit for 8.9 hours a day.
- If you sit more than 4 hours at work, you are 100% more likely to contract heart disease.
- If you sit 8 hours at work, your risk of contracting heart disease, cancer and diabetes rises 40%.
- After just 90 minutes of sitting, your metabolism falls dramatically.
- When standing, you burn 50 more calories an hour than when sitting.
- Scandinavian office workers get it. 80% of office workers use sit-stand desks.
The organization’s research page is especially helpful. It contains links to studies showing the risks of sitting for increased heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, cancer, high blood pressure, and stroke.
The Top 10 risks mentioned are:
1. Heart / Cardiovascular disease
5. High blood pressure
6. Muscle degeneration
7. Back ache / Neck pain