Seattle-based Weber Thompson expanded an existing 1916 brick building and transformed it into a mixed-use residential and commercial structure, wrapped around an open courtyard.
The architects expanded on an existing 1916 brick building and renovated it by designing a frame which acts as a neutral foil to the historic masonry.
The building’s form promotes natural daylighting and passive cooling by organizing a single loaded structure around an open-air courtyard, which extends to an open-air lobby that connects to the pedestrian street. A prominent exterior stairwell encourages walking between levels.
These strategies create a social focal point for the building while eliminating mechanically air conditioned corridors and common areas, promoting through-unit ventilation and allowing operable windows at both ends of most units for daylighting.
An innovative, efficient reverse-cycle system is used as a supplemental heating source for domestic water, tapping into the sub-grade parking level’s temperature-stabilized air.